The history of MPE started after the end of World War II. The city of Dallas extended Skillman Avenue from Mockingbird north to Northwest Highway and northeast to join with Forest Lane. This allowed opened hundreds of acres to farmland. Two farms cropped up with one being owned by the Merrimans and the another owned by the Murdochs, split by a divided two lane road. A developer by the name of Hal McGraw starting developing the land north of Northwest Highway on each side of a Skillman. Mr. McGraw acquired the Merriman land in 1940.
He then opened Merriman Park on the south of Skillman in 1956. Merriman Park Estates opened in 1957 with larger lots. This where the word "estates" comes from. In December 1956, Andrew and Anna Freed, become the first residents of MPE. The area become a popular from picnics, racing and outdoor activities. A year later, Louise and Frank Hicks hosted the first MPE resident Christmas party. In March 1958, the MPE Club, Inc is formed by the 12 original families. Two years later, the first issue of the estater is published.
In September of 1960, all of but 10 lots in MPE estates are completed in the Estates. In 1967, Hal McGraw and Associates acquired the Murdoch farm for further development. In Nov 1975, Hal McGraw begins construction on 2 new streets, Claybrook and Windale. The RISD purchases nine acres for a future elementary school. In March 1982, R.B. Brooks dies. In March 1986, the Dallas Parks department agrees to name the park on Merriman Parkway in honor of R.B. Brooks.
In October 1996, Marilynn organizes the Volunteers on Patrol with 35 volunteers. In September 1999, the installation of playground equipment at R.B. Brooks Park is completed. In March 2000, the website is first hosted by Rick Moseley. In April 2001, MPE get street sign toppers. In April 2004, the Neighborhood Patrol adds as office John McGuire. In May 2006, Forbes magazine lists the 75231 zip code is one of the areas with highest home values between 2003 and 2005.
In November 2007, Prescott Reality holds ground breaking for the long awaited Towne Center Project. Several months later, the MPE Club approves replacing two apartment units. In December 2010, the Lake Highlands DART station opens. It opened to help extend the DART Blue line. In January 2013, the first phase of the Towne Center project begins with construction of a parking garage and apartments units set to be completed by 2014.
In April 2014, Haven Lake Highlands, an upscale apartment complex opened. The Haven apartment complex has a garge next to it for parking. In November 2014, the NorthRock Lake Highlands apartments opened. These upscale apartments have regular onsite parking. In August 2015, Artistik Edge opens a hair salon, becoming first tenant in the Lake Highlands Town Center.